Thursday, April 30, 2009

Life after life

Today we will be considering a passage from Paul's letter to the Philippians. It's found in the first chapter verse 21: For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain.

An examination of the context tells us that the Apostle Paul was writing to the people of Philippi from prison (1:13). Although Paul is hopeful of being released, he does consider that this may lead to a death sentence (1:20). Either alternative has some measure of value for Paul as he states that in the verse we are considering and in subsequent ones (1:21-26). What is notable about the verse itself is the unusual phrasing Paul uses..."to live is Christ..." It is intriguing, is it not, to consider what that means? Well, we shall.

At this point, we now begin to reflect on this passage, savoring the words and phrases. We ask ourselves questions regarding both meaning and application of of these Spirit-inspired words. Have some dialogue with God and let Him instruct your heart. Take all the time you need, and be prepared to share some of what touched your heart and spoke to your life by posting in the comments section.



I must admit that "to live is Christ" was, at first, a confounding statement to me. What would it mean if someone said to live is Tom or to live is Emily? Would it mean to live like Tom or to live in honor of Emily? Maybe it's a mix of these. To live is Christ means I live in imitation of Him and in a way that honors his memory...? It seems there must be more than that. Another expression of Paul found in his letter to the Galatians says, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God." Is this what Paul is getting at? Is this a call to live with both the awareness and the conditioning that allows for Christ to live through us? It seems pretty edgy to be so open to the transforming power Christ that it could be said of me: "Christ lives in him. He makes plans, makes choices, sets a course, while always considering, 'What would Christ have me to do right now, today, to advance His purposes?'" It staggers me to consider how much of God's grace and power would need to be applied to my heart and mind so that I could with truthfulness declare , "For me to live is Christ."
"and to die is gain." Much musing is done regarding life after death. It is marvelous to think about a reality that involves life after life. We move from an existence that has at its apex, living in Christ, to one that begins with being with Christ (1:23). This life after life will be so beyond anything we know, that the Bible has very few words describing it. But we know it is marked by joy and celebration, in relationship with one another, and the glory of God's presence.

O God, my Creator and Redeemer, by the obedience of Your Son, Jesus, and the power of the Holy Spirit, you have made me your servant/son. In the privilege of that high calling conform to the reality that for me to live is Christ and to die is gain. Let me abandon sin like I would a dangerous house guest, and avoid it like one would avoid an virulent disease. Allow me instead to pursue Your heart and Your kingdom with passion and peace. I ask all of this in the name of Your Son, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment