Saturday, May 9, 2009

What's New?

The Book of Revelation is a boundless source of passages for Lectio Divina. The first couple of chapters mostly contain words of Jesus to His churches. John's depiction of heavenly worship and the songs of the angels and saints-what richness to contemplate and consider! For us in this session I have chosen Revelation 21:5a. "He who was seated on the throne said,'I am making everything new.'"

These words are the first spoken aloud by God, Himself since Rev. 4:1. Now, at the end of Revelation He is speaking again. The Book of Revelation has disclosed heavenly visions, with Christ on the throne, angels and saints adoring Him. From that same throne, judgment is meted out to the earth and its inhabitants until finally Satan, the Antichrist, and the False Prophet are overthrown by an angelic army. When this occurs, a Final Judgment is delivered to Satan and the fallen angels, along with all humans who have rejected the gospel of Jesus. They are cast into the place of the Second Death, the Lake of Fire. The righteous angels and believers are introduced into the new realm of eternal life: the New Heaven, the New Earth, and the New Jerusalem. It is at this time, on the brink of a whole new history, that God speaks of the continuity as well as the invention of his ways: "I am making everything new."

What strikes me is the amazing commitment God has to His Creation. He is not creating everything all over again. He is taking that which is fallen, feeble, and yes, even faithless, and making all of it new. This is the excellent work of Our Master-He makes us (and everything else) new. Let's take some time and quietly consider what this declaration in Revelation 21:5 speaks into our own lives...
Take some time now to walk with God's Spirit and let Him speak to you concerning this Word!
I found the encouraging promise that the "me" that God loves is being changed-made new-by the promise of His Word and the power of His Spirit. He loves the "me" that I am, but He proves that love by helping me become the "me" of His design. Throughout my redemption, I pray I will be continually open to and submitting to His plan to make in me and around me all things new

No comments:

Post a Comment