Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lenten Series: Readings from the Liturgy of the Hours-Our Value to God

Please take a look at the post from 4/1/2009 to see how this blog works.

In the hour called Lauds, there is a reading from 1Kings 8:52-53. This is the concluding part of King Solomon's prayer of dedication for the Temple he built for Israel. Here's what it says:
May your eyes be open to your servant's plea and to the plea of your people Israel, and may you listen to them whenever they cry out to you. For you singled them out from all the nations of the world to be your own inheritance."
This king, this son of David, is interceding on behalf of his people that God would see when his people are needing him as well as listen to the concerns of their hearts. Moreover the basis of Solomon's confidence that God will do this careful oversight of the people is because they are his choice and his very own inheritance. What a declaration of the value God assigns to us. We are choice and comprise the sum total of what rightfully flows to him-an inheritance.

Let's take some time now to in silence and contemplation to hear the voice of the Spirit of God in this small part of the Word of God. Read or say aloud the verses, considering each word or phrase and listen in stillness for God to speak...to you.



A couple of things have resounded in my heart. All of them relate to how care-ful the Father is toward me. It gives me courage to know that when I am in need and calling out to God, not only does he hear me, but he sees, too. He really shows up, on the scene, watching me while he is watching out for me. I am the kind of person who cares about the needs of others...most of us are. But when my own child is in need, I want to be there, get there and stay there until the crisis is over. God, the Father is the same and for the same reason...I am his child. But also, curiously, his inheritance. This sin-spoiled, self-oriented, holiness deficient rebel, who was at one time an enemy of God, i.e.,me is declared to be everything that should rightfully flow to God. Huh? What should flow to God is all honor and glory and praise. Those are rightfully his. But here he tells me that being and living as his chosen child must be an honoring, glorious and praiseworthy thing to him. So, I will seek, by his help and not by my own merit or ability, to bring him honor and glory and praise by living joyfully as his son.

Father, what seemingly inordinate value you place on me! Yet, this is just another of the wonders of you grace and full pardon. When I am in need or danger or just plain lost, I will call to you. Based on your word I believe you will not only hear me, but you will see me and visit me in my distress. Help me to, this day and tomorrow too if it is granted to me, live in a manner that will allow glory, honor and praise to flow to you. It is all yours, only yours. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment