Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Mission: Messiah

Truth. Straight up. Nothing to dilute it. No qualifying statements, no amendments, exceptions or exclusions. Myth-busting, clarifying truth. We search the scriptures for it. And when we find it, acquire it, apply it, there is a fusion between truth and life. Sometimes we come across a verse, a passage of scripture that is so raw in the truth it expresses that we are almost jolted by it. Surprised, not because the concept is new to us, but how simply and clearly it is stated. Our verse, today, 1Tim. 1:15, is one such passage.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am chief.

The first chapter of the apostle Paul's letter to Timothy is a reminder to his protege of his important task of bringing correction to some of the false teaching that has sprung up in the church at Ephesus. Timothy is to refute these errors by contending for the true, core teachings of the gospel. In the middle of this reminder, the Holy Spirit, through the heart of Paul, gives Timothy (and us) a clear, foundational saying regarding the mission of the Messiah: ...Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners.
Mission: Messiah...its object...sinners.
...its action...save them.
Among the many things said and taught about Jesus Christ, His words and works, what must have primacy is his mission to save us, sinners. Calling us sinners is not meant to be a pejorative. "Sinner" is descriptive. It's a label appropriate to our condition. And this condition is not one that needs improvement or remedy. It's fatal and certain. From such a peril comes but one hope. We must be rescued, delivered, saved! In addition, those with whom we have contact, a relationship, some affinity. They too, are sinners and as such are in dire need of saving. Are we open to serving the Lord by reaching boldly out to family, friends and others we encounter, so they can be saved, too?

Let's set aside some time now to consider this strong, vibrant saying of Paul. Let's meditate on our state of need and how much we are beneficiaries of Mission: Messiah. Take your time...spend some time...and let God speak to you through His Word.



Throughout my time of considering this verse, I found myself wanting the full benefit of Jesus' primary mission. I want to be saved from sin. I trust in the cross of Christ having paid the penalty of my sins, but I long to be fully delivered from the blindness and selfishness that not only still exists, but at times is being cultivated by me. I long to be continually sanctified and separated from that which is not submitted to my Savior. Moreover, I want to participate in a more intentional way with the Messiah's mission. To give witness and words to those around me who need the same saving I have both received and still crave.
O Father, continually grant me the awareness of your ongoing mission, through the work of Your Son, to save sinners. Work mightily in me. And by Your grace, work mightily through me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment